Cozy Grove (Unity C#)
In this small company I worked on a lot of miscellaneous tasks some highlights include:
- Clothing customization built on top of Spine animation skins.
- Input system allowing for dynamically switching between devices like touch, keyboard/mouse, and gamepad controls. All using unity’s new input system.
- Localization into over 15 locales including support for right to left text with Arabic.
- In addition I contributed to general gameplay, optimizations and polish.
Cozmo, a gifted little guy with a mind of his own. He’s a real-life robot like you’ve only seen in movies, with a one-of-a-kind personality that evolves the more you hang out.
Cozmo combines robotics, gaming, and toys. I contributed to the basestation code that runs on a smartphone which connects to the robot firmware via wifi.
One of the hottest toys of Christmas 2016, Sold out in it’s initial run.
- Gameplay: Programmed “Memory Match” minigame. Wrote dynamic skills system. Created and iterated on First Time User Experience Onboarding. Used Unity 5’s uGUI to create flexible views.
- Engine: Implemented AI freeplay behaviors, states and goals. Integrated 3rd party libraries (text-to-speech, HockeyApp crash reporting.) Implemented input filtering for accelerometer.
- Tools: Wrote unit tests for asset validation. Extended debug menu to display unified data from multiple sources making it cleaner for QA to use. Created initial Maya exporter ( this became the subject of my GDC2017 talk.)
Ratchet And Clank (C++)
A new Ratchet & Clank adventure game based on the movie (based on the 2002 PS2 game.)
Nominated as one of the Best PS4 Game of the year (2016).
- AI Programmer for most boss encounters including: Mrs. Zurkon, Snagglebeast, and Captain Qwark. The Snagglebeast was chosen to be the level for the E3 2015 gameplay demo.
- AI Programmer for several standard base enemy classes including Tanks, Automatic Turrets, Tentacles, Alien Snappers, and Alien Spitters.
Sunset Overdrive (C++)
Sunset Overdrive is an Xbox One Third Person Action Traversal Shooter.
- UI programmer for the HUD, lobby, popup and pause menus. Upgraded Scaleform and optimized performance.
- Point person for communication with external contract developers.
- Worked with audio designers to have graceful solution to crossfades and duck between gameplay and different gameplay states.
- Contributed to “amp” powers.
- Worked closely with localization for better global experiences with in world fx text.
Fuse (C++, Flash for UI)
Fuse (formally OverStrike) is a Xbox 360/Playstation 3 Third Person Action Cover Shooter.
- Sole UI programmer for the HUD, lobby and pause menus.
- Contributed to Origin (EA) integration into the lobby.
- Worked closely with designers to architect and iterate to find the fun in the collectibles and progression (including skill trees, team perks and XP) systems.
- Worked with designers on behaviors for two special enemy types using decider trees and creating scripting functionality.
- Took ownership of Scaleform middleware integration now used as a shared project.
Resistance 3 (C++, Flash for UI)
Resistance 3 is a Playstation 3 First Person Shooter.
- Worked in both ActionScript and C++ to quickly track down and fix Scaleform bugs and put in new UI features.
- Contributed to implementing and tweaked PlayStation®Move controls and assured they adhered to TRCs.
- Worked with producers and artists to fix hundreds of must fix localization bugs.
- Contributed towards multiple systems including: cheats, collectable syncing, player death hints, and multiplayer death camera.
Action AllStars (FLASH AS3/MXML)
Action AllStars is a kid’s sports themed virtual world with deals with the NBA, MLB, and NFL Player Association.
- Optimized the world to consume 20 to 80% less CPU usage and increased framerate by at least 10% on low end machines.
- Sole developer on client side implementation of “pets,” an extremely popular feature.
- Helped create monthly seasonal content and missions. Including a Box2D physics game that had the highest subscriber conversion rate.
- Developed an engine and first mission for inventory, dialog and exploration based adventure game series.
- Created real time multiplayer tower defense style game.
- Wrote SQL queries for logging and data entry.
- Evaluated new technolgies and summerized the impact they would have if integrated into the client.
Unwell Mel (Flash AS3 and Java)
Unwell Mel is a match-3 game with a medical theme. It has greater complexity than other games in the genre: It includes special gems, power ups, and uniquely themed board sizes.
Developed for Big Sea Games and Treasure Quest, the online community of Big Fish Games and facebook portal.
- Wrote and shipped the flash version in under 5 weeks with only 2 weeks of test time. (Most games this size take 3 months dev time and a month test time)
- I also wrote an easy to use level editor for this game so multiple team member’s could contribute to the 100+ levels.
- The download version is still available at Big Fish Games
Amazon: Hidden Expedition
(iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad Universal App)
In Amazon: Hidden Expedition, I worked in Objective-C for this universal iPad/iPhone app. This forced me to deal with the challenges of working on a limited platform.
Download it from the app store.
Diana Fortune in the Lost Temple of Gold
A fun solitaire-like game requiring you to place tiles to create paths to various treasure. In addition to being the developer on this game I also designed and implemented the tutorial over a weekend, making the game more intuitive for our casual audience.
Developed for Big Fish Games.
(Facebook app portal)
Treasure Quest is a game portal on facebook I worked on for Big Fish Games. The basic concept was that a user would earn gold by completing “quests” for a metagame within each seperate flash experience and use that on their avatar.
I was responsible for various in game integrated features (such as the in game purchases and in game avatar compositing.) By the end of this project I was resposible for maintaining and updating six of the eleven flash games featured on the site.
Other credits include:
- Unwell Mel (Java)
- LOBE (Java)
- Looking Glass Slots (Flash)
- SnowGlobe Slots (Flash)
- LOBE (Flash)
- Team Bingo client and server (Flash and Java)